Was Your Baby Born With An Injury Or Defect?
Birth injuries and birth defects can affect a child for his or her entire life. If harm done to your baby was avoidable, you and your baby may have a legal right to compensation.
While no amount of money can make up for the harm that was done, it can help with medical bills and other expenses that come with raising a family. If your child suffered a birth injury or birth defect, the attorneys at Alexander Law Group, LLP, are here to help make a difference for you and your family.
What Are Birth Injuries And Birth Defects?
Birth injuries can occur from complications during labor and delivery. Birth defects involve harm that arose prior to birth, either during or before pregnancy.
Unfortunately, complications may occur during pregnancy or delivery that, despite reasonable and competent medical care, are unavoidable. It is important to know that not all birth injuries or birth defects will result in a successful legal claim.
The birth injury and birth defect attorneys of Alexander Law Group, LLP, will assess your situation for free. We are experienced in understanding when a birth injury or defect gives rise to a claim for compensation for your child.
Chemical Exposure Can Cause Birth Defects
Serious birth defects can be caused by chemical exposure during or before pregnancy.
- Exposure to certain chemicals during pregnancy can cause mental or physical disabilities, deformities and cancer.
- Chemicals that are mutagens deform cells in the developing embryo and fetus, resulting in high rates of miscarriages and children born with birth defects.
- Chemicals that are teratogens result in intellectual disability or physical deformities.
- Chemicals can cause cancer by corrupting the process of cell division and creating mutations.
If you have a child with a birth defect and you (or the birth mother) worked with chemicals during pregnancy, call us at 888-777-1776 to discuss how we may be able to make a tremendous difference for you and your child.
Alexander Law Group, LLP, has helped children in California, Washington, Illinois, Ohio, New York, Vermont and France because of our experience, extraordinary resources and readiness to help families managing the devastating effects that a birth defect has on their child.
Delivery Can Also Cause Birth Injuries
Birth injuries to a baby can occur because of complications of pregnancy, during delivery or because of improper prenatal medical care. Some birth injuries occur because of a medical care provider’s mistake and negligence. Some birth injuries are a result of medical malpractice.
Two common birth injuries that are a result of negligence are cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy.
- Cerebral palsy is neurological disorder affecting body movement and muscle coordination. It is caused by injury to a baby’s brain that occurs while the brain is still developing, either before, during or immediately after birth. Cerebral palsy may be caused by a lack of oxygen to the baby’s brain during delivery, due to a doctor’s failure to recognize the need to provide adequate oxygen. Cerebral palsy also may be caused by bleeding in the baby’s brain shortly after delivery, due to head trauma caused by inadequate medical care during delivery.
- Erb’s palsy is an injury to the brachial plexus in the shoulder from stretching, compression or a complete tear from the spinal cord. This may result in the baby’s inability to use his or her arm, permanent nerve damage or the need for surgery. Erb’s palsy may be caused by a doctor’s use of forceps or a vacuum device that exerts too much pressure on the baby during delivery or by a failure to recognize that a cesarean section should have been performed based on the baby’s size.
Why Alexander Law Group, LLP, Is The Law Firm For You
We have extensive experience proving the causes of birth injuries and defects, combined with a solid track record of delivering results and the financial resources to take on the major expense of birth injury or birth defect cases.
- Voted Best Lawyers by San Jose Magazine
- Named to the Top 100 California Lawyers by the American Trial Lawyers Association
- Selected as Esteemed Lawyers of America, a peer-selected honor
- Recipient of the Santa Clara County Youth Commission Medal
- Recipient of the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition Debbie Cole Memorial Community Service Award: “Your career as a legal advocate for the underdog and the underprivileged and your tireless commitment to justice, fairness and equality has made a real difference in our community.”
If Your Baby Was Born Injured, Set Up A Consultation
If your child has suffered a birth injury or birth defect, contact the experienced and reputable attorneys of Alexander Law Group, LLP. Consultations are always free. We operate on a contingent fee basis, which means we never charge a fee or costs unless you make a recovery.
Alexander Law Group, LLP is a nationally recognized and award-winning personal injury law firm with offices in San Jose and San Francisco. We are passionate about our clients and our community. We invite you to get to know our firm. Read what our clients have to say about us and explore our track record of successfully achieving fair recoveries for our clients.
Call us 24/7 at 888-777-1776 or send us an email to schedule a free consultation to discuss how we can make a difference for you and your family.