The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service and Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. in Springdale, Ark. announced yesterday a recall of approximately 185,000 pounds of Salmonella-tainted ground turkey meat.
According to the FSIS, this current food safety alert is tied to the earlier recall of 36 million pounds of turkey meat contaminated with Salmonella Heidelberg. In that August recall, one death and nearly 80 cases of food-borne illnesses were reported.
Although no illness or deaths have been tied to this current recall so far, the FSIS warns that the contaminated meat was sold in various forms nationwide (see below). As with the previous recall, the meat was produced at a single establishment, “P-963,” which can be found inside the USDA inspection mark on the product’s label. The suspect turkey meat was believed to have been manufactured at this facitily on August 23, 24, 30 and 31.
Cargill and the FSIS recommend that consumers return the tainted meat to the store for a refund.
The FSIS will release on its website the list of retailers which distributed the contaminated turkey meat from Cargill. But consumers with further questions should contact Cargill’s toll-free consumer relations line: 888-812-1646.
For food safety tips, visit the FDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service website.
Products included in the 185,000 pounds of recalled Cargill turkey meat
Fresh Ground Turkey Chubs
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Fresh HEB Ground Turkey 85/15 with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/19/2011 and 09/20/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) chubs of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Fresh Ground Turkey with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/19/2011, 09/20/2011 and 09/21/2011
Fresh Ground Turkey Trays
- 19.2 oz. (1.2 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/10/2011 and 09/12/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Turkey Fresh 85/15 with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011, 09/18/2011 and 09/19/2011
- 48.0 oz. (3 lbs.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey Family Pack with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011, 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/15/2011, 09/17/2011 and 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/11/2011
Fresh Ground Turkey Patties
- 16.0 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey Patties with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/18/2011
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) trays of Kroger Ground Seasoned Turkey Patties Fresh 85/15 with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/17/2011
If you or someone you know has been injured by a defective product, contact the defective product lawyers at the Alexander Law Group, LLP for a free case evaluation or call 888.777.1776. All calls free and confidential.